Located on the capitol building grounds in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, between Locust Street, North 3rd Street, and North Pine Street.
This monument is a Greek Corinthian style column approximately 50 feet in height. The overall height of the monument, including the base, is about 75 feet. Atop the column is a figure of a guardian angel embracing the U.S. flag in the left arm and holding a laurel wreath in the right, which is held at the angels's side. The tops of the base corners are surmounted by carved eagles. The builder was J. McFadden. The inscription on the monument reads:
BY THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA
COMMEMORATIVE OF HER CITIZENS
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
DURING THE WAR WITH MEXICO
IN 1846, 47, & 48
On the base directly below this description: CITY OF MEXICO.
Names of other Mexican War battles are carved on the corners of the base: CONTRERAS, LA HOYA, SAN COSME, PUEBLA, HUAMANTLA, GARITA DE BELEN, PUENTE NATIONAL, CERRO GORDO, VERA CRUZ, CHAPULTEPEC, PALO ALTO, MONTEREY, BUENA VISTA, CHURUBUSCO, MOLINA DEL REY. (Note: All names are transcribed exactly as they are written on the monument.)
The monument appears well-maintained and is located in a clean, park-like setting.
Photos and monument information supplied by DMWV member John F. Crossen. Photos taken September 25, 2004 at 4:30 p.m.